We recently did an episode called, “Am I An Alcoholic” today, we are taking that a step further and helping to answer questions that you could have if you are wondering if you are addicted. First off, we want you to know that there are no stupid questions and if are having questions about these issues hit the chat button at the bottom of the page and Ben or I will be there to answer your questions.
In this episode, Tom and Ben will help you understand if you are addicted and some signs to look out for that might signal that you are addicted. Addiction can encompass a wide variety of things, but if your behaviors are out of control or negatively affecting your life it might be time for some self-reflection and look into the warning signs and see if any of them apply to you.
- [02:51] Alcoholism is somewhat like addiction, but addiction encompasses a large variety of things.
- [03:07] You can become addicted to anything but there is a progression to it.
- [03:41] Most people go to a casino to win money, but with slot machines people get addicted to the ritual.
- [06:14] Just seeing the bar, made Tom feel better, people addicted to drugs start feeling better before they actually do the drugs.
- [08:36] They say if you drink alcohol or do a drug long enough that it will literally change your DNA.
- [09:01] Addiction can be a broad term for the overuse of anything.
- [10:09] Early signs of addiction.
- [11:10] Physical dependence and can be two different things, but being physically dependent will cross you into addiction.
- [14:00] When you cross the line and doing drugs is destroying your life with many different negative consequences, those are probably signs that you are addicted or close to being addicted.
- [15:20] Some warning signs can include things like your friends changing. You might find friends who will drink or shop like you.
- [16:27] When Ben was addicted he thought everyone did cocaine. Now that he is sober, he found out not that many people do it. The people you surround yourself with matter.
- [18:27] When you become addicted, you start doing things that you wouldn’t normally do and legal consequences come down the line.
- [19:47] Is pornography addiction making you late for work or ruining your relationships? Are you spending too much time online?
- [20:51] Your tolerance increases and that she drink or use more and more Health consequences come along with that.
- [20:54] All of these signs point more and more to some type of addiction.
- [21:15] Alcoholism is slow, but drugs can be more of an immediate type thing.
- [22:37] Methamphetamine and crack release a huge amount of dopamine.
- [24:51] Being in denial and not thinking that you are addicted could be a warning sign that you actually are.
Links and Resources: